How To Clean your Luggage
How To Clean Luggage
No matter if you are a frequent traveler or if you just travel occasionally, it is normal that your luggage gets dirty. Between its interior and exterior, you should keep in mind that you need to clean your luggage from time to time. After all, you want to maintain it in perfect condition for a very long time.
How To Clean Luggage
The first thing that you need to keep in mind about how to clean luggage is that you should clean its interior as well as the exterior. So, let's get started.
#1: Cleaning The Inside Of Your Luggage
The first thing that you need to do is to remove all the items that you have inside your luggage. Make sure that you check all pockets as well as the removable liners.
In case your luggage has removable pockets and liners, you should remove them as well. Just set them aside for a moment.
When you are looking to how to clean luggage, you may be surprised that you should actually vacuum the inside. After all, this is a fast and efficient way that you have to remove all the dirt, crumbs, dust, and any other small debris. Don't forget to vacuum within the liners and pockets as well.
Now, it's the time to grab the removable pockets and liners that you set aside and wash them. In most cases, you should find a tag attached to the manufacturer's instructions on how to wash them. In this case, you just need to follow the instructions. However, in case you can't see any tag, then it is better to play it safe and hand washing the pockets and liners. So, just add a small amount of mild laundry detergent to warm water and wash them by hand. Just let them air-dry afterward.
Notice that you should be careful with the linings. You need to see the material they are made of first and then use the appropriated cleaning product:
- If they are made of nylon, you can wash them gently with a damp washcloth and mild laundry detergent.
- If they are made of linen, you can use a mix of water and baking soda. Just use an old toothbrush to scrub away dirt and stains. As soon as you're done, you should dry the inside of your luggage immediately with a hand dryer.
- If they are made of hard plastic, then you can simply wipe with a damp washcloth and mild soap. Make sure that as soon as you're done you dry the linings with a towel so that it won't leave any water marks.
Now that all your components are cleaned and dry, you can return the removable pockets and liners to their places. However, before you store your luggage again, you should air it out. Just let it stand open for a day or so. This will also help you prevent the buildup of mildew or smells.
#2: Cleaning The Outside Of Your Luggage
Now, it's time to learn how to clean luggage outside.
The first thing that you should do is to brush the outside of the luggage using a cleaning brush or a short broom. In case your luggage is covered in pet hair, lint, or another form of difficult-to-remove debris, use a lint roller.
Up until now, you only removed the major dirt. However, if you want to get your luggage spotless, then you need to be careful with the material that it is made of.
- In case you have leather luggage, then you should use a leather cleaner. When you're done, make sure that you leave it air dry.
- In case you have a soft-bodied manmade bag, then you can clean its exterior with mild laundry detergent and a damp washcloth. Let is air-dry afterward.
- In case you have hard plastic luggage, then you should clean it with a damp washcloth and mild soap. Make sure that you dry it well with a towel immediately.
- In case you have aluminum luggage, you should clean it with warm water only since some soaps may leave marks and streaks in this material. Make sure to dry it immediately with a towel.
The only parts you still haven't cleaned are the latches, zippers, wheels, and other hardware. You should wash them with soapy and warm water and a washcloth. Besides, you need to dry all these items immediately to prevent water damage.